U.S. - China - Japan: The Evolving Trade Landscape
Wednesday, March 13
2:00 pm - 4:30
Join the Japan-America Society of the State of Washington, Washington State China Relations Council, Port of Seattle, World Trade Center of Tacoma, and the Northwest Seaport Alliance as our panel of experts discusses the ever-evolving trade landscape between the U.S., China, and Japan, and what it means for businesses in the Pacific Northwest.
The trade landscape between the United States, China, and Japan continues to be volatile. As trade discussions and tariffs are constantly in the news, how do businesses react as they anticipate policy changes that will affect their bottom line? What are businesses experiencing in their day-to-day operations?
Come hear how the evolving landscape between these three economies and trade policy changes and likely future scenarios are and will be affecting business in Washington State as well as how our local businesses are responding on the ground here and in overseas markets.
Moderator: Andrew Crowder, Washington State Department of Commerce
- Dennis Frett, Executive Vice President, Toray Composite Materials America, Inc
- Amy Paulose, President, AMES International
- John Melin, President and COO, Brown & Haley
- Robert Hamilton, Governor’s Adviser for Trade Policy, Washington State Dept of Commerce
Welcome and Closing remarks by:
- Yoichiro Yamada, Consul General of Japan in Seattle
- Ryan Calkins, Commissioner, Port of Seattle
- John McCarthy, Commissioner, Port of Tacoma
Our panel will consider the following questions (and more):
- How much do the trade tariffs really matter? What are possible long or short effects of the tariffs?
- What are possible benefits for the Pacific Northwest of Japan's efforts to revive the Comprehensive Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP)?
- What form would the most likely trade deals between China and the US as well as Japan and the US take? What would the ramifications be for the Pacific Northwest be?"
- What are the effects of China’s Belt and Road Initiative on PNW trade?
- How do U.S.-WTO relations effect us in the PNW?