Japan Update Series
Immigration and Workforce Diversity: Contrasting Issues for Japan and the United States
Yoshio Ishizaka, Chief Executive Director of the Outlook Foundation
Justice Steven Gonzalez, Washington State Supreme Court
February 20, 2018
6:30 - 8:00 PM
William H. Gates Hall, Room 138
Japan and the United States have two very contrasting situations and approaches to workforce diversity and the immigration issues that face each country.
Despite nearly 2.5 million foreign residents, Japan’s immigration policy does not fully embrace the acceptance of foreigners to become naturalized citizens or permanent workers. Aging and reduced population has made workforce diversity and immigration critical issues in needed policy changes. How will Japan need to change to maintain its domestic economy? Yoshio Ishizaka will outline the issues and recommendations to the Japanese government.
By contrast, the United States was built on the backs of immigrants. Becoming a naturalized citizen has not always been easy and the current administration has made immigration policy a major political policy “discussion.” The U.S. discussion will be lead by Justice Steven Gonzalez.
The panel discussion and Q&A with these speakers, who both have extensive experience in both countries, will highlight and contrast the intricate issues for the U.S. and Japan. Chris Helm will facilitate the discussion.
All members of the Society are invited to attend the lecture at no additional cost! If you are not already a member, sign-up today to enjoy our great benefits detailed here.
Are you a student or faculty member at the University of Washington? Attend the lecture at no cost! Please bring your UW ID to the event.
Who will be speaking?
Mr. Yoshio Ishizaka
- Currently Chairman of the Outlook Foundation / Advisor, Toyota Motor Corporation
- President of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A, Inc from 1996-199
- Helped design the Lexus Division of Toyota
- Executive Vice President of Toyota Motor Sales, 2001-2005.
- Visiting Professor at Musashino University
- Author of トヨタ販売方式：世界一企業の販売とマーケティング / The Toyota Way in Sales & Marketing
Justice Steven Gonzalez
- Appointed and elected to the Washington Supreme Court in 2012
- Current Chair of the Court's Security and Technology Committees
- Served for 10 years on the King County Superior Court
- Studied at Waseda University and Hokkaido University
Mr. Chris Helm
- Chair, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP Immigration Practice Group, 2011-2015
- U.S. Army Judge Advocate, 1982-1988; U,S, Armed Forces in Seoul, Korea 1983-1985
- Director, Blakemore Foundation, 2006-2009, 2010-present
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Immigration Law by Best Lawyers, 2010-present
|About the Japan Update Series
The Japan Update Series (JUS) started in 2014 with a business roundtable event featuring three eminent figures in U.S.-Japan relations -- Koichi Hamada, Professor Emeritus at Yale University, Robert M. Orr, former President of Boeing Japan, and Marc Knapper, former Director of the Office of Japanese Affairs at the U.S. Department of State. First sponsored by our longtime corporate member, Delta Air Lines, JUS demonstrates the quality of our mission, connections to some of the top sectors of the U.S.-Japan alliance, and drive to bridge members to the best knowledge and network base.
This month's JUS event is generously sponsored by a grant from the Sasakawa Peace Foundation and the National Association of Japan-America Societies.